“Developing and promoting the visual arts to enhance the quality of life in our community.”
“Educate, engage and enrich our community through visual arts.”
“Arts Visalia’s equity goal is to establish a safe place in which everyone in our community can take part in the visual arts experience. We intend to pursue this goal by prioritizing our focus on how Arts Visalia can more clearly become a space where each person in our community is able to pursue the enjoyment of art, artists and education in the visual arts that our gallery can provide. By doing this, we believe we can foster fairness and equity that can break down traditional barriers which hold back some segments of our population.”
Arts Visalia is committed to racial equity in both our work environment and our art classes, exhibits and special programs.
- We are committed to ensuring that every policy and procedure that we embrace considers the democratic principles of equity and justice.
- We understand that to do this we must consider the issues of implicit bias and discrimination which can hamper those principles.
- We believe that bringing together Arts Visalia staff, board members and community representatives/partners with differing backgrounds and life experiences will enhance our ability to increase opportunities for all those in the community that want to participate in some way in the visual arts.
- All of Arts Visalia’s classes, exhibitions and special programs will be developed with the intent to identify and avoid discrimination and barriers to access, and to avoid disproportionately high and adverse effects on communities of color.
- Arts Visalia is committed to the ongoing evaluation of the impact of our policies on our community and using this evaluation in the development of new policies. We are committed to ensuring all populations have equal access to our programs.“
Arts Visalia is a nonprofit community art center located in downtown Visalia, California. Our gallery features diverse monthly exhibitions of regionally, nationally and internationally recognized artists. Our gift shop offers a delightful selection of unique items created by local artisans. Admission is free and open to the public Wednesdays through Saturdays, from Noon to 5:30 p.m.
Throughout the year, Arts Visalia hosts a dynamic range of events including First Friday meet-the-artist receptions, lectures, workshops, open studio sessions, Family Art Days, and other special events that nurture Visalia’s visual arts community.
Our education programs include classes for children and adults. Fall and Spring sessions offer new 2- and 4-week courses beginning each month. Young at Art is our summer art program offering new week-long courses beginning each week throughout June and July, culminating in an exhibition of students’ masterpieces during the month of August. Through generous support from private and public donors, our scholarship programs for kids provide opportunities for dozens of youth each year.